Relax into your everyday practice with this luxurious natural cork yoga mat.
Made from highest quality, zero plastic (no PVC or TPE), completely sustainable and recyclable material, this mat has natural anti-microbial properties which means it won't get smelly. The natural rubber and cork are both supplied from Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) accredited agencies.
Non-slip, giving you fantastic traction in your practice, and foldable (to put into your specially designed Yogasuthra backpack as part of your yoga kit) for easy transport.
The 4mm thickness is ideal for home studio practice, as well as to take with you to class.
Great for those with niggly knees as has a bit of 'give' in the rubber, making kneeling poses a bit more bearable.
Mat dimensions: 183cm x 61cm x 3mm
Mat weight: 3.9 kg
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR CORK YOGA MAT:
The best way to clean a cork yoga mat is to use cold water on a soft cloth. Gently wipe down the cork yoga mat with the damp cloth and then let it air dry (out of direct sunlight) before you roll it up and put it away. Be careful not to damage your cork yoga mat by scrubbing it hard with an abrasive sponge.
HOW TO MAKE A CORK MAT SPRAY:
FILL A SPRAY BOTTLE WITH:
- 3 parts of water
- 1 part of white vinegar
- 5 drops of your favourite essential oil. Lavender, tea tree, lemongrass and eucalyptus are essential oils that are recommended for their disinfecting qualities.
3 STEPS TO CLEAN A CORK YOGA MAT:
Step #1. Shake the spray bottle.
Step #2. Spritz the cork yoga mat with the spray and wipe it clean with a soft cloth.
Step #3. Leave the mat to air dry completely before you put it away.
Our Eco-Friendly Cork Yoga Mats are Kind to Your Body and Our Planet
You engage in yoga practise hoping to benefit our mind, body, and soul, but have you ever thought about what traditional yoga accessories are doing to our planet? Yogasuthra yoga supplier offers a range of eco-friendly cork yoga mats that are sustainably manufactured from cork, offering an environmentally-friendly, and ethical cork yoga mat that is biodegradable, and won't leave a trace. This eco mat used for yoga, Pilates, and a variety of other routines offers a non-slip, convenient alternative to their mainstream counterparts.
Benefits of Our Cork Yoga Mat
The movement of veganism involves more than just the food we eat. Veganism abstains completely from the use of animal products in our everyday lives. Our vegan yoga mats embrace this sustainable ethos and align with our eco-friendly values.
- • Yogis and yoginis are making the switch to cork yoga mats because of their natural eco-friendliness. Coinciding with yoga philosophies, an eco-yoga mat offers a natural surface to practice on, which is good for you, and the environment. Cork is a natural, raw material that is wholly biodegradable and recyclable. Cork trees are the only trees on earth that regenerate stripped bark, meaning that the tree does not have to be cut down to produce eco yoga mats. Our ethical yoga mats have revolutionised classic yoga equipment into sustainable and beautiful gear.
- • Cork bark rejuvenation absorbs CO2 from our air - the greenhouse gas linked to climate change. The more cork harvested, the more it rejuvenates, and the more we prevent climate change.
- • While practising yoga, support and non-slip grip is essential for perfecting your poses and enjoying your practice. Using a cork mat for yoga is ideal, as the combination of the wax found within the cork, called Suberin, and its open cell structure offers a superior grip that improves with sweat. This moisture activates the grip and increases traction, while the open cell structure removes excess sweat, preventing pooling on your mat.
- • Cork is a naturally anti-bacterial material, making your yoga mat hygienic and free from foul odours. Cork is also easy to clean, using cold water and a damp cloth to wipe it down. Our yoga mats do not require extensive scrubbing as this could damage the material and can be air-dried after washing.
- • The majority of available yoga mats contain various chemicals, harmful toxins, and PVC. Frequent contact with these chemicals can cause skin irritation and even long-term damage. The natural surface of our cork mats is gentle on the most sensitive skin and has a smooth finish for ease of use. Our vegan yoga mat will give you a sense of connection with the earth while practising your moves.
- • A cork mat offers a simplistic design that emanates a natural appearance. Whether at home, or in a studio, your cork mat will add a sense of tranquillity to your space and bring serenity to your movements.
- • Once you have found your ideal yoga mat, you'd preferably like to use it for as long as possible. As our yoga mats are made from the naturally durable bark of the tree, it offers an extensive life span, allowing frequent use. It is resilient and able to outlast multiple uses over the years. If you find it has seen better days, a light sanding will restore it to its former beauty.
- • Thanks to cork's low density, yet high molecular power, our cork and natural rubber yoga mat offers the best of both - a light mat that's easily portable, with a prolonged lifespan. Cork is flexible enough for rolling and folding up and storing and remains intact after frequent unrolling and folding.
- • Backed with a natural tree rubber base, our sustainable yoga mat sticks to the floor. The materials used are particularly sturdy and are a little heavier than the traditional PVC and foam materials used in conventional mats. This assists in creating an ideal base that does not bunch up at the edges as you move around.
- • Cork has a cellular structure comprised of millions of cells that each hold little bubbles of air. Together with the open-celled natural tree rubber, this creates an ideal cushion that offers comfort and gives soft landings for your hands, feet, and knees. The cork's unique molecular structure absorbs contact and regains form quickly.
Related Services We Provide to Sustainable Yoga Mats
We offer a comprehensive range of eco-friendly, sustainable products to help you start your natural yoga journey. The accessories below, paired with our natural cork yoga mat, will have you well on your way to reaching new asanas.
- • Our high quality yoga strap, manufactured from organic cotton, is predominantly used to improve your posture, increase movement ability, and extend your stretch. Organic cotton contains fewer chemicals than synthetic materials, is soft to the touch, and is naturally durable for a long life span.
- • If you have a picky friend, why not spoil them with a gift card? This way, they can choose their preferred products. Our gift cards offer two main benefits for both the giver and the receiver - a convenient email sent to the recipient means that no collection is necessary. Because our store is online, they don't have to travel to a physical store to use it.
- • Our backpack offers both functionality and style. This ergonomic bag provides spacious and convenient compartments for your foldable mat and all your yoga accessories, plus your essential everyday necessities. We use water-resistant, robust material to create a high quality bag that is both comfortable and suitable for prolonged use. The inner fabric is made from recyclable material, keeping in line with our environmentally friendly focus.
- • Yoga enthusiasts use cork yoga blocks to support the body and aid in balance, stretching and alignment. The smooth and cushioned finish of cork offers comfortable support for poses while providing healthy and long-lasting alternatives to traditional plastic and PVC blocks.
The Importance of Yoga
Regular yoga exercise creates mental clarity, increases body awareness, relieves tension and stress, relaxes the mind and centres attention.
- • The mental and spiritual characteristics of yoga focus on developing and maintaining mindfulness, which helps your awareness levels to increase. This effect can make you more conscious of your surroundings and can affect how external events influence your mind, body, and spirit. An organic yoga mat keeps within the guidelines of mindfulness, as it is kind to the planet, and will not end up in a landfill.
- • While yoga is not considered an aerobic exercise, certain poses are more physical than others. Intense-style yoga can assist in calorie burning and may prevent weight gain. Practising yoga can also help in improving your metabolism and developing muscle tone. The mindfulness achieved by yoga can prevent overeating and help you become aware of what you are putting into your body while eating.
- • Practising yoga can improve the quality of your sleep. The calming effects of regular yoga can help you to fall asleep quicker, and allow a deeper, more rejuvenating sleep. Practising yoga in the evenings is an effective way to release everything you are mentally and physically holding on to, before sinking into a peaceful, and unburdened sleep.
- • Yoga can relieve stress and anxiety, resulting in lower blood pressure and improved respiration. This relief offers a healthy and natural alternative to medication-based treatments and provides both health benefits for your body and the environment.
- • Paying attention to flexibility is a vital part of a holistic athletic routine as it keeps your body limber, and well-toned. Luckily, it is relatively simple to increase your flexibility and strength by including yoga in your fitness routine.
Little Known Facts About Yoga
While you may have heard about our sustainable yoga mat in Australia, here are a few lesser known facts about this practice.
- • Yoga wasn't always what we do on a recycled yoga mat. This ancient practice that originated thousands of years ago has been progressively diluted into what mostly resembles gymnastics and stretching. Asanas are a small part of what yoga entails. Meditation, breathing techniques, and living a life of meaning and kindness are all part of yoga.
- • The moral vow of Ahimsa, translating into 'non-violence' includes not harming or eating animals. Practising yoga intends to enhance our life force energy, so eating something that opposes this view can be detrimental to the practice.
- • Tao Porchon-Lynch is the oldest known yogi in the world. Born on August 13th, 1918, she continues to share her knowledge worldwide.
- • Not only do yoga poses strengthen your muscles and relieve tension, but the breathing practices also encourage us to take in increased oxygen levels, boosting circulation and bodily functions. This oxygenation gives your body time to renew and can even slow down the ageing process.
- • Men historically predominantly practised yoga before they permitted women to join in. More recently "Broga or yoga for bros", has started encouraging men to join back in on the action, while looking at yoga from a male sensibility.
- • Chanting is an important aspect of yoga. 'AUM' consists of three letters that represent the primitive sound of the universe from which all other sound originates. These three letters represent our past, present, and future, and 'AUM' is chanted to induce a connection to the universe around us.
- • Namaste is usually said at the end of class. It directly translates as 'the light in me bows to the light in you', symbolising mutual respect, and the gratitude of our similarities rather than differences.
- • Savasana, also known as the corpse pose, encourages us to lie down on our organic yoga mats after a class, not only to rest the body but also to allow the practice to unite within us.
- • Yoga pants are one of the comfiest pieces of attire across the world. Organic cotton yoga pants, paired with an eco-friendly yoga mat, offers a comfortable combination that allows freedom of movement during your practice.
- • There are many styles of yoga to choose from worldwide. These range from the traditional tantra, ashtanga, Sivananda, rocket yoga, laughter yoga, aerial yoga, and paddleboard yoga - each providing a range of benefits.
- • Dog-yoga or 'Doga' is gaining in popularity; after all, most of the poses are named after animals and plants. In 'doga', owner and pet practice side-by-side. This experience is a great bonding opportunity and an effective relaxation technique for both human and canine. Our recycled yoga mats are pet-friendly too.
Why You Should Use Yogasuthra
No matter where you are on your yoga journey, our yoga mat in AU, along with our other accessories, can help you practise comfortably, and reduce the risk of injury. Our non-slip mats come with plenty of support and cushioning and are fully biodegradable. Our convenient online store offers a user-friendly experience with multiple payment options available. Whether it's a Savasana or a downward dog pose you want to perfect, contact us for more information.